The daughter of a modern-day wildcatter and a day trader, both of whom are business owners, Colleen Migl grew up in Houston surrounded by business risk and the “ups and downs” of the oil and gas industry. So, it is no surprise she is considered very business-minded when it comes to advising her clients, whether it is about the acquisition of another company, the purchase of real estate, the negotiation of a commercial lease, or the setting up of a new business venture.
While in law school, Colleen gained valuable experience interning with the second largest CPA firm in the United States, the federal government, and a national non-profit organization. Colleen spent her last year of law school as a Shapiro Fellow at the Securities and Exchange Commission. While there, she worked on high-profile securities litigation cases and investigations, and in some cases right alongside the Federal Bureau of Investigation, the Department of Justice, and the Internal Revenue Service. Upon graduation from law school, Colleen went to work for a major accounting firm where she assisted major Houston oil and gas clients with international taxation transactions.
Mrs. Migl received her Bachelor of Business Administration in Accounting and General Business from Texas Tech University. Upon graduation, she was awarded “highest ranking graduate” from the Rawls College of Business. After completing her undergraduate studies, she attended The George Washington University Law School where she received her Juris Doctorate in 2014. Upon graduation with her law degree, Ms. Migl was awarded the Presidential Volunteer Service Award for her extensive pro bono work with the homeless and unemployed in the heart of Washington, D.C.
While handling multiple large acquisitions for a Fortune 200 company at the same time, Colleen recently went back to school to obtain her L.L.M. and a Certificate in International Taxation from Georgetown University. Upon graduation, she was once again recognized for pro bono work in her local community.
Significant Bankruptcy Representations:
- Entity Formations and Structuring
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Real Estate
- Commercial Disputes
- Debt Collections
- General Corporate Matters
- Estate Planning
Mergers and Acquisitions
- Represented and served as lead corporate counsel in the acquisition of MLink Technologies, Inc.
- Represented and served as lead corporate counsel in the acquisition of Sherpa Coaching, LLC.
- Represented and served as lead corporate counsel in a series of roll-up transactions of regional rubber manufacturers by a private equity group.
- Represented and served as lead corporate counsel in the acquisition of UTSI Corporation, Inc.
- Represented and served as lead corporate counsel in the acquisition of the assets of Howell Services, a local HVAC and plumbing services company.
- Represented and served as assisting counsel to one of the largest electricity service providers in Texas with the acquisition of another electricity service provider of roughly similar size.
- Represented a large Fortune 200 company, as a strategic buyer, in acquiring various brokerage shops across the United States.
- Represented a start-up renewable energy company in obtaining an injection of investment from a large national energy technology company.
Mergers and Acquisitions - Bankruptcy
- Represented and served as lead corporate counsel in the acquisition of a local hospital, all within the context of a bankruptcy.
- Represented and served as lead corporate counsel in the disposition of Eco-Stim, Inc. within the context of a bankruptcy.
- Represented and served as lead corporate counsel in the disposition of Juniper Specialty Products, Inc. and SGCE, LLC.
Commercial Real Estate
- Represent numerous buyers of commercial real estate, ranging from the acquisition or disposition of retail centers to the acquisition or disposition of hotels across the Texas region.
- Represent sponsors of commercial real estate for the development and initial fundraise of a downtown high-rise in Houston, Texas.
- Represent sponsors in the establishment of syndicated funds and special purpose vehicles to facilitate such funds.
- Represent Buyers and Sellers navigate complex easement and encroachment issues in the commercial context across the Houston metropolitan area.
- Represent Buyers and Sellers navigate complex title commitment issues in the commercial context across the Houston metropolitan area, including title commitment issues relating to mechanic’s liens, bankruptcy notices, surveys, utility easements, covenants, probate, underground tanks, and remainder interests of oil and gas.
- Represented a local CPA against the Internal Revenue Service as assigned insurance counsel in a tax dispute in excess of $10 million dollars.
- Represented a multi-national manufacturer of cooking tools and utensils with the tax-free reorganization of its U.S. and foreign operations.
- Represented numerous nonprofit corporations in connection with obtaining recognition of tax-exempt status under I.R.C. Section 501(c)(3).
- Represented numerous homeowner associations in connection with obtaining recognition or navigation tax-exempt status under both federal and state frameworks.
- Member, Fort Bend Bar Association
- President, Fort Bend Young Lawyers Association
- Member, Houston Bar Association
- Past Co-Chair, Houston Bar Association Campaign for Homeless
- Past Co-Chair, Fort Bend Walk for Alzheimer’s
- Docent, Houston Museum of Natural Science
- Young Alumni Representative, George Washington University Alumni Association
- T: (214) 731-3111
- F: (214) 731-3117